The keynote speaker at Saturday’s conference was Pastor Harvey Carey
from Detroit, MI.
A few things about Harvey:
1) You will not fall asleep while he is speaking. You will not even have the slightest temptation to fall asleep.
2) He is a mover and a shaker…literally. He oozes passion while he speaks, and from his stories, he lives it, too. He and 500 youth once shut down a strip club in their community through an effort of courageous prayer. Crack houses have received similar treatment; not many folks are interested in buying drugs when a group of believers is having a campfire and singing church songs in the middle of the night….in front of a crack house.
Here are some great quotes and thoughts from his messages:
– Are we using 8-track methods for an mp3 generation?
– Who has the largest youth ministry in Phoenix? the devil
– Youth ministry has been turned into ministry to youth, vs. ministry by youth.
– The work of the ministry should be done by the saints, not the leadership. The leadership does the equipping. (Eph. 4:12)
– Challenge young people to do things that require God.
– If a community is dark and the church says they’re the light, they are lying.
– What have I planned for this year that requires God?
– When you know God, can’t (pronouce this cain’t for full effect) nobody tell you what God can’t do!
Each of us also had the opportunity to attend two workshops. The 5 teens in our group participated in a special track for youth. Here are a few take-aways from the workshops I attended:
– The most effective outreach happens when you get out of the church.
– If you have the gift of evangelism, don’t just evangelize…equip evangelizers. If you have the gift of teaching, don’t just teach…teach teachers to teach. That way you reproduce in others.
– There is a price tag for leadership. It is being without reproach.
The Aim Right group…reloaded!